Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting.
Inediates, Breatharians, Non-Eaters, People Living on Light, Fasting and experimenting with diets.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fasting experience, then and now. Suggestions welcome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index -> My (fasting, dieting, eating, starving) Experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Candid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Fasting experience, then and now. Suggestions welcome! Reply with quote

When I was a schoolgirl in the early '70s a gym teacher introduced me to yoga because I lacked the confidence and co-ordination for sports and gymnastics. I bought a few books, and in one by Indra Devi I read about fasting as a wonderful cure-all. I was particularly intrigued by the claim that people were alive and alert after 60 days without any food.

In 1975 my parents took my two younger siblings for a five-week holiday, leaving me alone in the house. As soon as their plans were in place I had my own plan. I was impatient for them to go!

My mother had stocked the fridge for me. I put all the meat into the freezer and progressively fed the vegetable matter to my brother's pet rabbit. From the time they left, I ingested nothing but water.

IT FELT GREAT!

I continued going to my office job five days a week. It was winter and I remember feeling the cold more than usual, but extra clothing took care of that. Also, I've always had low blood pressure and had to be careful about standing up too quickly. Apart from that, it was a very positive experience. When other people ate fragrant cooked lunches at their desks, I just wondered where all the food was going. I don't remember any hunger pangs.

What I remember most is the beautiful calm. I didn't want it to end, but a few days before my family's return I reluctantly broke the fast. I knew my parents wouldn't tolerate a non-eating daughter. Sad

I should mention, at 19 I'd already acquired the 'social' habits of drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. I stopped both of these without even thinking about it when I fasted, then resumed them afterwards. Rolling Eyes

A few months ago I came across JMW's work and knew this was something I wanted to do again.

Difficulties

This time around I'm married, and no longer fully employed. My husband was at first inclined to join me but soon changed his mind when he realised how much of his/our social world fitted around eating and drinking.

I became awkward about committing to social occasions. This wasn't an issue at 19, with a structured work environment in which lunch was a practicality rather than the main focus.

I can manage very well without alcohol, but coffee and cigarettes have a greater hold on me now than I was prepared to admit. As I cut down my eating preparatory to fasting, my consumption of these nasties crept up. Within hours I was very irritable, the polar opposite of my earlier experience. Couldn't even stand myself, so it was back to eating.

Start date

My best friend is remarrying next month. There's to be a wedding lunch and an evening barbecue.

We've booked a week's holiday for the beginning of October. At this stage I hope to be in a position to get started right after that.

Question

How come I dropped the addictions along with the food in 1975, and went the other way this time? I'm hoping it's a mind trick that can be fixed with visualisation. Can I do it all at the same time again? I'd LIKE that. Very Happy

I know other people here have wrestled with similar issues and would love to know what you think. I'm hoping this thread will be a journal of my path to non eating, whether long- or short-term.
hal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: good luck Reply with quote

That's a tough one. I quit smoking (again) a couple of years ago after having quit for 20 years before that. I finally just gave myself permission to make the hard choice of quitting. I know that sounds simple but it worked for me. When the cravings hit, I just said 'no, I don't have to give in anymore. I have permission to do the right thing'. Just decide in your mind and you can make it so. All the best.
Candid

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, hal. I was beginning to think Nobody Comes Here Any More. Sad

We're off for our holiday on Tuesday. I'll be so happy to get started on this in the last few days before we come back. I plan to cut down everything gradually while we're away.

I know my husband will put the pressure on me to buy duty-free cigarettes, ironically because he hates to see me burning money...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index -> My (fasting, dieting, eating, starving) Experience All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: