Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting.
Inediates, Breatharians, Non-Eaters, People Living on Light, Fasting and experimenting with diets.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to start fasting?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index -> Inedia, Breatharianism, non-eating, fasting
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilson85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: How to start fasting? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am relatively new to this forum and I would like to start fasting and enjoy the many benefits it has for our health, but I do not wish to force my body to overcome wild changes. I am 27yrs old and have some stress and imbalances accumulated due to my job and the polluted city life (I am a very rational and empyric person, but I can feel that).

Considering that I hold a daytime job, a small business and train triathlon 4days a week...my question is: Which would be the best way to start? How should I start fasting? And for how long?

I guess I should start water fasting 1day/week?

Thanks a lot Smile
Wilson
wilson85

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to water fast 1day/week. For starters, I wont' eat anything from friday meal to saturday meal, which is around 24hours. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by wilson85 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Exist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think water fasting for one day is perfect to start.

You can also start with only 24 hours (stop eating after lunch, start eating lunch the next day). That might be easier in the beginning. But I think there's nothing wrong to begin with 36 hours, if it is more appropriate to you.

You should have no obligations like work when you do the first fast in your life, because you don't know what to expect happening in your body. I also wouldn't recommend going to work directly after breaking your fast (I think you plan to start eating and then just go back to work on Monday). If you already tried fasting and you know what you do, it's ok.
So I would rather take the whole weekend off (fasting on Saturday and eating on Sunday), if it is possible.

You should also be a bit careful when starting to eat again. It is recommended to break a fast with food, that is not very "heavy", raw fruits and vegetables or a salad are perfect. Better don't break your fast with something like meat or sugar. I found cooked vegan (or close to vegan) food very good to begin with, when I just started fasting. Now I'm always starting with fruits.

If you plan to break your fast and then start working immediately, keep in mind that you might be very hungry throughout the day, wanting to eat all the time. You should also stay close to some toilet Smile. Of course, these are only tips that I can give from what I know what happened in my body, you might have different experiences with your body.

I hope I could help you somehow.
wilson85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Exist,

Thanks for your answer. Actually, I just broke my first 24hr fast with a salad and I feel really full, like if I had eaten seven burgers. I fasted from Friday meal to Saturday meal. But I was not hungy, I just broke the fast because I told myself I would. I will try two days between meals next time.

But it was surprising to me I was not hungry. And I even went training on friday and swam around 3.5km. What I did though, was craving for coffee, which I use to intake a lot. I don't know what to make of this. Should I had been hungry?
Exist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's normal not to be hungry when fasting, so everything is alright.

It's a good sign that your fast was so easy for you.

Your hunger usually comes back later, after eating something again.
wilson85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Exist,
How feasible it is to fast and having a full-activity day? Smile
(work, train, etc)
Exist

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on you. If you feel good working and exercising during a fast, it's ok.

In my case, the stronger the detoxification feels, the less I want to do. Until now, I never did any sports during a fast, only walking outside, because I never felt like doing so. However, sometimes I have to work or do other things when fasting.

If you want to have a lot of activity when fasting, I think there's nothing wrong with it. Just listen to your body.
wilson85

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exist wrote:
I think it depends on you. If you feel good working and exercising during a fast, it's ok.

In my case, the stronger the detoxification feels, the less I want to do. Until now, I never did any sports during a fast, only walking outside, because I never felt like doing so. However, sometimes I have to work or do other things when fasting.

If you want to have a lot of activity when fasting, I think there's nothing wrong with it. Just listen to your body.

Well, I went to train during the early hours of the fast but some good hours of sleed solved it. I will keep doing 24hr fasts like these because it is easy. However, my family gets very worried about me fasting and affects very negatively.
Cameron.NZ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My family gets concerned about my days of fasting as well, because I am so thin, and when I do take food, it's radically different than what they're eating... however, my energy level is quite high -- almost always more than those around me, so they can see their concerns are pointless.

I also attempt to keep my fast to myself; I don't point out to others that I'm fasting, always keep some water in my hand, so from the outside it doesn't look much different. Pretty much the more I pay attention to what others talk about and participate with them in their conversations etc, the more I realise I don't have to keep justifying myself, because they don't talk too much about it (health, diet, fasting, raw foods, you name it) unless I keep the conversation going. So I don't..

Glad your one-day fast went so well for you!
wilson85

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just started my 2nd 24hr fast after today's meal. And I have to 2.5 hours training this evening, which starts in half an hour (1.5hr running + 1hr swimming). I am still looking for the best time to fast: during the week I have plenty of stuff to do, during the weekend my family is around and I can't skip training days: I would need to find a way to blend fasting into my lifestyle. And I definetely don't want to get "thin"! I want to retain musculature, fitness and health. If my body loses performance, I will stop fasting.

What I've noticed is that my body fat burns out very fast when fasting, and my muscles are much more tonified: it can be clearly seen after training. I am a little hungry right after -not in the stomach, but a lack of energy on the body- which comes back slowly later.

Perhaps fasting and training is pushing the body too far. I'll keep you posted.
wilson85

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to keep you posted. I am fasting two days now and training. I ran this morning about 10km and I am about to go out and run other 10km this evening. My body holds up. My family had a wonderful meal today and I shared a glass of water with them. It was hard because they had my favourite meal. But I'm not hungry. I might extend it to tomorrow and make it three days. No lack of energy. Training actually energizes me.

However, every time I fast for more than 24hours I have a lot of trouble sleeping. I seem to sleep for 2-3 hours and then stay awake helpless for the rest of the night.
wilson85

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all!

This message is to keep you posted. I've been fasting 36-48hr a week, while training. I must say results are great: my endurance has increased, almost all my fat is gone, a knee injury I've been dragging along for some years has dissapeared and I feel much much better. I don't experience hunger while fasting.

Other side effects are I feel much more discouraged towards food: I don't like some food anymore, which I used to like. In general, I prefer eating simple foods and the only thought of eating heavy stuff irritates me. However, at the same time, I crave for flavor while fasting.

There are caveats though: my family panics everytime I start a fast and it represents quite a problem in my relationship with them.

Cheers.
Cameron.NZ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally get that; my family freaks when I fast... so much so that actually I don't share that particular detail with them Sad We are all responsible for our own lives, and I do not want them to feel in any way responsible, or wanting to control, my life.. I also sleep about 4 hours a night - I've now decided to consider this my 'normal' sleep pattern, and get up and read while the house is quiet. It works for me..

How great that your knee injury has cleared up - that's really incredible!

Taste... hmm, I've been doing some things lately, just to have a taste in my mouth -- a squeeze of lemon, a bit of cayenne swished around in my mouth, stuff like that. It seems it's all I require, really - then spit it out.

Really appreciate your postings.
wilson85

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cameron.NZ wrote:
I totally get that; my family freaks when I fast...
How great that your knee injury has cleared up - that's really incredible!

Yes, I had a damaged tendon on the knee which inflamated a lot while running too much. I guess fasting made me lose some weight and allowed the body to restore it, at least partially.

I use to run 5-10km before having to stop due to pain, but now I can run quite a lot more. I ran 20km the other day and didn't stopped due to pain but simple before the training ended. And I hadn't been able to run 20km for a quite a long time!!

I just had dinner and I'm entering another 36hr fast which should last until Friday Meal. If I feed good, I usually extend it until my familiy bothers me quite a lot. I find difficult to fast with my familiy around, is quite stressful.

That being said, I lost 7kg and my six-pack is growing again Smile
Airnalize

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: About the less sleep Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to this site and your thread was my first read.

I have been on three fasts in my life: once I did 10 days on only water. And for the past six months I have done two 8 days fasts with 3 days without water. Both were in a group with Akahi's pranic process.

I am living mostly of fruit now and I have long periods at a time where I only need 4 hours sleep a day.

To me it makes sense. When I eat heavy stuff like cooked foods of vegetables and even a bit of meat, I get sleepy. I have read many times that digesting food takes a lot of energy and it seems to be the case.

So much more time available to enjoy life there is when eating less. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index -> Inedia, Breatharianism, non-eating, fasting All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: