Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting.
Inediates, Breatharians, Non-Eaters, People Living on Light, Fasting and experimenting with diets.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The diet of our ancestors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Exist

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: The diet of our ancestors Reply with quote

I have tried veganism and a raw food diet about 1 and a half years ago. At first I thought it was working well and I felt pretty good, especially on the raw foods. But the food cravings became so strong I ended up eating the food I wanted to avoid. After "binge eating" I felt not very good of course, started eating vegan or raw and the cycle repeated itself. Finally I realized that a vegan or raw food diet might not be sustainable for me.

Later I read about the paleo diet and started eating that way. A paleo diet is basically the diet that humans and prehuman beings ate for 3 million years before the rise of agriculture.
Many paleo eaters today were earlier vegetarians who got health problems from a vegetarian diet. So I thought I'd share this with you. For anybody who has got problems with adopting to a vegan, raw or fruitarian diet, a paleo diet might be a healthier alternative. Of course that doesn't mean that I think I know which diet is better for you.

If you want to know more about paleo, there's a good book called The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf. I started implementing the diet after reading this book.
There are also good resources online. Just search "paleo" on Google. I don't read much about paleo online but I found this blog very helpful (it's about "primal" eating which is almost the same as paleo).
Philos

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks for sharing.

i'm glad you found something that works for you.

i'm familiar with the books from robb wolf and mark sisson.

for a while i listened to the podcast from robb wolf, but after 120
episodes or so found it a little to heavy on the olympic weight-lifting side
and gradually lost interest.

are you using a low carb approach (<150g carbs) or the newer iteration
of paleo which is a little more macronutrient agnostic?

what are you eating on a typical day?

thanks!
Exist

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Philos,

I'm usually trying to eat a low-carb diet. What do you mean with macronutrient agnostic? Never heard that before.

I'm not eating a 100% paleo diet. I do a cheat day once in two weeks and my meat is probably not 100% paleo (but I don't bother).

A normal day might look like this:

Breakfast: ~250g meat from the butcher (things like sausages, Krakauer, Lyoner ... food that you can eat cold so I have more time in the morning)
Lunch + Dinner: meat (sometimes cooked, sometimes not) + vegetables (cucumbers, cooked carrots, ...) or fruit (apples, ...) and tea; sometimes I eat nuts too, but not too much of them. I don't know why but I need that tea at least once a day if I'm not on a fast.

I think I eat less than the recommended 2200 calories per day but I am somehow not that hungry and I don't want to waste too much money on food if it is not really necessary.

Now and then I try to cook something special for fun, but most of the time it's just a routine and mostly eating the same things over and over.
And occasionally I eat things like cheese, dark chocolate (both not really paleo), honey or apple purée without sugar (not low-carb).

And twice a week I do a 24-hour fast (from breakfast to breakfast).
Philos

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting.

thanks for describing your current program.

me personally, i'm not able to do it.

with a diet of this type my digestion becomes sluggish and stinky.

my skin becomes oily and prone to acne.

i'm also loosing the motivation to do physical acitivity on low carb.

how is your digestion, skin and motivation to train?
Philos

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

macronutrient/caloronutrient agnostic is a term that is used in nutrition
to describe a diet i.e paleo that can vary in it's compositon of carbs/fats/protein.

in the old days, paleo was almost always considered low carb, high protein, high fat.

these days the paleo guberus say that paleo can be macronutrient agnostic, so it
could also be high carb, high protein, low fat... with "safe starches" for example
sweet potatoes and white rice as a staple, combined with lean meats and seafood.
Exist

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philos wrote:
macronutrient/caloronutrient agnostic is a term that is used in nutrition
to describe a diet i.e paleo that can vary in it's compositon of carbs/fats/protein.

in the old days, paleo was almost always considered low carb, high protein, high fat.

these days the paleo guberus say that paleo can be macronutrient agnostic, so it
could also be high carb, high protein, low fat... with "safe starches" for example
sweet potatoes and white rice as a staple, combined with lean meats and seafood.

OK, thanks for the explanation.

Philos wrote:
interesting.

thanks for describing your current program.

me personally, i'm not able to do it.

with a diet of this type my digestion becomes sluggish and stinky.

my skin becomes oily and prone to acne.

i'm also loosing the motivation to do physical acitivity on low carb.

how is your digestion, skin and motivation to train?

I don't have any problems with that. But I never really do much training. Only a few minutes of intense strength training a week (fasted). I would even say that things like digestion, skin or motivation got better since I switched to paleo.
Philos

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool.

what do you think of crossfit?
Exist

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I don't really know that much about CrossFit. I just looked it up on Wikipedia, so I have no idea.
Is there something special about it?
Philos

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of paleo people are into rather short but quite intense crossfit exercises in a fasted state.

are you doing like bodyweight exercises?
Exist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, at the moment I'm only doing bodyweight exercises (pushups, squats, etc.) since I train at home.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Inedia, Breatharianism, Non-Eating, Living on Light, Fasting. Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: